Sunday, April 8, 2012

Review: Wicked in Dutch

If you're seeking an impartial view on Wicked, then you'd better keep looking! I'm a very biased fan who has seen this wonderful show enough times that I need two hands to count... (see my last few Wicked posts here, here and here!)


I'm even geeky enough to have watched videos that analyse different women playing Elphaba, to decide who's the best. Surprisingly, the resounding winner isn't the original.

She doesn't even speak English.

The winner every time is Willemijn Verkaik, who originated the role in the German language production. Unfortunately she left that production shortly before we caught it.

But she's not actually German. She's Dutch.

And guess who they brought on board to recreate the role in her native tongue, at the Dutch production that recently opened at The Hague?


Willemijn Verkaik is a formidable talent, who grasps this character with a depth I doubt I'll ever see matched. And her voice is easily the most nimble I've ever witnessed live, except perhaps for Celine Dion.

She was worth planning a trip to Amsterdam around.

Plus... I'm excited to announce that this ticks off one of my bucket list goals:


2 comments:

  1. Amazing, amazing, amazing! I am living vicariously through you! Ps. Love the Celine reference lol! xx
    keepingupwiththekalafiore.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the post hun! Wish we could have seen it with you! x

      Delete